For SVG Files, please visit Guitar Templates – SVG
Since first embarking on this journey to amateur luthiery, I’ve been scouring the net for useful resources. Some of the first files I downloaded came from Fender-ish; a Google site with a collection of PDF’s of scale drawings of a range of different guitars. These Guitar templates and guitar plans were great, and I quickly chose a couple to print out full scale and get building.
But what I really wanted was some full scale Photoshop files. You know the ones; with everything on different layers, depicting the guitar template or plan in all its detail, and including the vital measurements of the different components, all the while convincing you of it’s mimicry to a large scale blueprint drawn up by the original guitar company back in the 1930’s.
But the more I hunted, the less I found. It turns out that either guitarists, or guitar builders, aren’t all that computer savvy when it comes to design software; or at least Photoshop. If they are, it seems they want to supplement their income by charging for the plans they’ve drawn up.
So, I did what I normally do in these situations where I see something I want but can’t have; I built my own.
PHOTOSHOP (PSD) FILES
Below are the selection of guitar templates I have made into Photoshop PSD files for you.
Each file includes the guitar front and back, as well as measurements in inches and millimetres.
In Each File
- Each layer is labeled and includes the outline of the standard parts of each guitar design.
- You can turn layers on and off by clicking on the eye icon next to each folder. There isn’t really much need to open the folders.
- Each file includes measurements in inches and millimetres. You can turn these on and off by using the eye icon as well (Dimensions(mm) is not in the screenshot I took, but will be in the final PSD file).
- Guides have been set at different places throughout the file. You can turn off Guides if these become distracting for you.
Fender Stratocaster template
Fender Telecaster template
Gibson Les paul template
Les Paul Full Template
Download .PSD (6.4Mb)
Gibson ES-355 template
ES-355 Full Template
Download .PSD (4.0Mb)
- These Photoshop files have been made by importing 1:1 scale drawings from PDF into Photoshop full size and then copying out the parts to each layer. There are NO guarantees that these will be exact; but they should be pretty accurate for your design needs.
- Each PSD file was made using Photoshop CS5.1. Maximise compatibility is turned on for each file. There are no guarantees that the PSD document will open in your particular version of Photoshop. There is no harm in trying.
- No support is given for these files.
Please comment below if you notice and problems with the designs, or if you have any suggestions for improvements or features you want to see in future versions of these files.